The N Word
May 23rd, 2006

The trial of Howard Beach teenager Nicholas Minucci for attacking Glenn Moore with an aluminum baseball bat has inspired several columns about what is being called in court and in print the N word. Minucci, a.k.a. Fat Nick, who is white, is being charged with a hate crime because he uttered the racial epithet during the assault on Moore, who is black. Minucci claims that he meant the word as a greeting in a hip-hop way, not as a biased remark.

You have to wonder what might have happened had he been graced with a richer vocabulary, Clyde Haberman of the New York Times writes in a column today entitled Finding Hate In A Whack On The Head. What if, while swinging that baseball bat, he had called Mr. Moore, say, a boil-brained dolt? Would the charges against him have been lighter? Apparently. The attempt to divine a suspect’s inner feelings, instead of letting his actions stand on their own, is what troubles many opponents of hate-crime laws, like the one enacted by New York State in 2000. Critics also dismiss these laws as little more than feel-good measures.

Errol Louis in his column in the Daily News also points to the absurdities of the states hate crimes law. Legislatures and courtrooms are the wrong place to stage fights to end the spread of hateful, dehumanizing images and epithets. The right place, he says, are in public and informal arenas, including the Internet, where a new Web site, Abolish The N Word includes horrific images of violence against African-Americans, prefaced with the statement: Every Black person who was murdered by lynching was probably called the N word first.

By on May 23, 2006, 10:14 am
In category: Civil Rights,Crime & Safety | 5 Comments »

5 Responses to “The N Word”

1. PW Says:
    June 8th, 2006 at 2:47 pm

I find it interesting that there are so many opinions on usage of the “N” word. As an African-American male, I believe its usage should be regarded as an affront without consideration of the user’s race. The word should be banished in America. I find it disgusting that the Hip Hop world has embraced this word in their lyrics and everyday speech. Mincos defense makes clear sense since so many African-Americans use this word to refer to themselves. If it is a hate crime to call someone the “N” word, the “N” should not be an acceptable part of public speech. Get rid of the word. Period. Alot of African-Americans use the “N” to maintain “street credit”. Everybody wants to be down. It amounts to a pale of Bull****. I am not going excuse all these hip hop culture trendoids from using the “N” word and on the other hand crucify a white for using. Everyone who participates in using the “N” word should be punished. Take that poor excuse “it’s different for black person” and shove it! That word disgusts me whoever uses it. A black person who refers to his/herself using the “N” word has to have a bad case of low self-esteem.

PW

2. Eric Says:
    June 14th, 2006 at 11:01 pm

Black Politicans,Actors,Musicans and comedians call White people crackers,rednecks,honkies and peckerwoods everyday In the media and public speaches,but yet are never held accountable for it.I guess in America everyone is equal,but some are more equal then others at times.This is a form of social Engeenering That puts no value On White peoples Cival or human rights.Hate Crime Laws are Unfair and bias Despite the fact that according to Fbi satistics 90% of all Interacial violance In America is Comitted by Blacks,but very few are charged with hate crimes This sends a message that It’s One law For Blacks and another Law for Whites By adding extra charges for Whites,but not Blacks is insane and sending a message That it’s open season on whites.I don’t blame Blacks for these Insane laws I blame White treasonist corupt law makers.

3. mike Says:
    August 19th, 2006 at 12:11 pm

i was atacked by 4 black guys and before the got me 1 said get that cracker and almost beat be to death and when i told the cops it was a hate creim and tols them what happen they said there is no heat crimed there why no if i had been black and 4 of us were white it would have been

4. American Says:
    November 28th, 2006 at 10:44 am

[Richard] Pryor said in conclusion:

And I dont want them hip white people coming up to me, calling me no n—-r or telling me n—-r jokes. I dont like it. Im just telling you, its uncomfortable to me. I dont like it when black people say it to me. So I love you all, and you can take that with you.

5. free sample dog food Says:
    March 8th, 2012 at 2:11 am

It’s hard to find well-informed people on this topic, however, you seem like you know what you’re talking about! Thanks