World AIDS Day In NYC
December 1st, 2006
Blogger Eli B. writes the following: “I’m not sure what to write here for World AIDS Day. It’s one of those things for which there is both everything and nothing to say.
“Since 1981, more than 25 million people have died of AIDS. Approximately 40 million people worldwide are infected. 1.1 million Americans are HIV-positive, and 25% of them donít know it. Another 40,000 become infected each year. Here in New York State, 7,600 people were diagnosed with HIV/AIDS in 2004 (the worst nationwide). The bulk comes from New York City, where approximately 1 in 70 has HIV. Obviously, some populations have sufferred from this epidemic more than others. Here are the HIV infection rates, by demographic, from the NYC health department:
* 1 in 40 African Americans.
* 1 in 25 men living in Manhattan.
* 1 in 12 black men age 40-49 years.
* 1 in 10 men who have sex with men.
* 1 in 8 injection drug users.
* 1 in 5 black men age 40-49 in Manhattan.
* 1 in 4 men who have sex with men in Chelsea.
In category: Civil Rights, Demographics, Gotham City, Health | No Comments »