Broadway Walkway Here to Stay
February 11th, 2010
For all you Times Square revelers, the Bloomberg administration is going to give you a little more room to stretch your legs — permanently.
Mayor Michael Bloomberg and Transportation Commissioner Janette Sadik-Khan announced this morning the pedestrian plazas at Times and Herald Squares were here to stay. When the plazas were first announced in February last year, the administration said they would be made permanent if they improved traffic flow on 6th and 7th avenues and if it made the areas safer for pedestrians.
The results, according to the administration, will allow tourists and New Yorkers alike to sit back and relax in the plazas colorful furnishings for years to come.
According to the Department of Transportation, travel speeds for trips north in West Midtown improved by 17 percent from fall 2008 to 2009, compared with 8 percent in East Midtown. For trips south in West Midtown, travel speeds fell 2 percent. East Midtown had an increase of 3 percent, according to the transportation department.
Before this morning’s announcement, some speculated that the results would not be good enough to keep the plazas. A report in the New York Times said officials found the results “disappointing.”
Disappointing or not, Times and Herald Squares have officially been taken over by pedestrians.
Pictured above is Times Square now and below is a video from the transportation department about the project.By Courtney Gross on February 11, 2010, 11:56 am
In category: City Hall,Community Development,Crime & Safety,Environment,Gotham City,Governing,Health,Land Use,nextNY,Parks,Transportation | Comments Off