Recent Posts
NYC Blogs
Click here for a list of NYC blogs
Newsfeeds
Search This Blog

Diaz Plans Rally Against Same-Sex Marriage
May 3rd, 2011

Sen. Ruben Diaz, a staunch opponent of same-sex marriage, plans to counter pressure from Gov. Andrew Cuomo and his coalition of gay marriage supporters by holding a rally on May 15 in the Bronx, the same day as the New York AIDS walk. Here are the details from Diaz’s office. You might note the extremely defensive tone of the press release:

“Senator Reverend Ruben Diazs May 15th Rally to Protect Marriage

New York State Senator Reverend Ruben Diaz (D-Bronx) released the following statement about his May 15th Bronx Rally to protect New York States traditional marriage laws:

Its wonderful to know that thousands of New Yorkers plan to attend the May 15th Rally in The Bronx to oppose legislation to redefine marriage in New York State.

Everyone should realize that were not hiring Ricky Martin, Elton John or Rosie Perez to attract people to our event. There wont be any paid superstars or celebrities to draw crowds. Whoever joins us will do so because they support traditional marriage.

Its important to know that whoever comes to this rally will be there because they support the growing movement in New York to protect marriage and to oppose proposals to redefine the definition of marriage to include homosexual marriage.

Id also like to clarify some loathsome accusations about our May 15th Rally coinciding with the New York AIDS Walk. Our Rally for Traditional Marriage will include thousands of New Yorkers who support AIDS programs and AIDS victims. No one has the right to accuse people who attend our rally of opposing AIDS victims or programs that help AIDS victims and their families.

It is also essential to correct disgraceful lies that are being made about me and my ongoing support for AIDS programs. Each year that I have served as New York State Senator, I have allocated $100,000 from my member item funds to Bronx AIDS services in the South Bronx. I will continue to support the war against AIDS, and I will vote to increase funds against AIDS.

As the President of the New York Hispanic Clergy Organization, my fellow ministers and I have been and will remain committed to caring for AIDS victims and for their families. Any statements to the contrary are lies.

Also, I will continue to encourage people to participate in the March Against AIDS. AIDS is a terrible plague and those who commit themselves to join the war against AIDS are certainly part of this noble cause. However, it has to be made clear that everyone who participates in the March Against AIDS is not necessarily in support of gay marriage. There is a huge difference between the March Against AIDS and our Rally. One has nothing to do with the other.

By on May 3, 2011, 10:49 am
In category: Albany,Civil Rights,Eye on Albany | 15 Comments »

15 Responses to “Diaz Plans Rally Against Same-Sex Marriage”

1. saphina Says:
    May 3rd, 2011 at 2:17 pm

Marriage is personal like religion and should not be politicized.

2. Diane Says:
    May 4th, 2011 at 7:16 am

Marriage is between a Man, Woman and God. The Bible tells that a Man should NOT dress in womens clothing nor should a woman dress as a man!!! All these storms that are happening around here is not “MOTHER NATURE” it is God disapproving of what we are doing!!! I think we should put Religion back into our schools and government, those who don’t believe close your ears!!!!

3. Eliot Says:
    May 4th, 2011 at 9:14 pm

Diane,
    The bible also says men can’t shave, women can’t have sex while on their periods, and that I can own slaves. I see barber shops, people having sex ALL THE TIME, and slavery is outlawed. Why can’t I marry the man I love? The 1st amendment states that congress cannot pass a law that respects an establishment of religion. The gov’t saying that Bill can’t marry Robert because religion says so is blatantly unconstitutional. It shocks me how long this has dragged on, gay marriage could have been around since before 1970 should people have opened their eyes and LISTENED for once.

4. WhiteLighterNY Says:
    May 4th, 2011 at 11:11 pm

Letting the people vote on this isssue is what the homosexual community fears. Everytime the voice of the people has rang out LOUD and CLEAR 31 times it was voted on, and 31 times it has been defeated in every state allowed to vote! New Yorkers do not want this pathological lifestyle that has been cloaked under the guise of Civil Right. If allowed to pass this will be nothing but a passport to perversion for the homosexuals. For further evidence of the consequences of allowing this plague to spread, check out this website. http://www.massresistance.org/index.html

See the cost to the citizens of Massachusetts. The homosexual community doesnt want SSM equality,there is more at stake here and our BLIND politicians are leading us down this perverted path!

5. WhiteLighterNY Says:
    May 4th, 2011 at 11:21 pm

Eliot,

You can not use the Bible to cherry pick scripture for your defense. The Old Testament Laws were for the Israelites to follow,Modern Christianity is no longer under the law.Jesus Christ’s death freed us from the Law, we now live under GRACE. So, attempting to discredit the biblical commands of the Old Testament to justify the legitimacy of homosexuality will not work. GOD’S law trumps that of mankind whether you accept that or not, and we will pay the price for our disobedience.

6. Jon Says:
    May 5th, 2011 at 4:12 pm

WhiteLighterNY

There is no God. The Bible is just a book of fairy tales so get over it. I would tell you to go to Hell but there is no Hell!

Diane,

Are you blaming the tornados in Alabama on Gods anger about gays? I don’t think that Alabama has that great of a gay population. I could turn the table on you. Maybe God is mad because people like you are spewing hate in the name of God!

However, there is no God so it doesn’t matter. You think that you will be going to heaven but there is nothingness when you die. Have a nice day!

7. WhiteLighterNY Says:
    May 5th, 2011 at 6:50 pm

Jon,

You ignorance is a prime example of why it will be so easy for the ground work to be put in place for society’s destruction. It is obvious that you lack any true exposure to the Bible. If you understood what you casually dismiss as a fairy tale, you would be full of repentance .

I agree with Diane that God is warning His people that He is angry, and will not be mocked, justice is in store for mankind. Only the spiritually ignorant will dismiss the coming signs . As for there being no Hell, Satan loves it when he hears people like you say that, you make his job that much easier, to condemn you to an eternity in Hell with him. Lastly, the “hate” that you perceive is nothing but the truth being spoken in “love”, you just don’t want to hear it because it makes you examine your conscience, that is something you don’t voluntarily do, because it would expose the sin in your life.

8. Emily Says:
    May 12th, 2011 at 11:24 pm

Diane and WhiteLighterNY

You absolutely have the right to believe in anything you want. What you can’t do is use your beliefs as the sole reason to justify your political views, especially since everyone has to follow the law, even those who do NOT share your beliefs, and we can also believe whatever we like. But for the record, WLNY, Eliot was not the one cherry-picking scripture. Not like he can quote the entire thing in a comment, but Diane was more-so the cherry-picker. Albeit poorly. Not sure what the clothing bit has to do with gay marriage. :/

And I would think if God were to pick a method for showing his displeasure, he’d be a bit more obvious than tornadoes. They’ve been worse and earlier than usual, but they are a seasonal, regular occurance, and don’t lend themselves to well to wrath-of-God. Also, probably not-so-many gays in Alabama, I agree Jon.

My own personal belief: I don’t know what kind of a guy God really is. I know what other people think about him, but if I were to take a wager, he probably ‘created’ gays. Sexuality is definitely not a choice, so the discrimination against the gay community is pretty ridiculous. We have better things to do with our time, so we should just get this hating over with and let everyone, including the gays, be happy and marry. No one is hurting anybody at all, it’s hysterically sad that anyone really thinks they are, and I’m sure God loves the gays just as much as anyone. I shall now step down from the soapbox.

9. Irene Says:
    May 15th, 2011 at 6:11 pm

In the USA, I have a right to follow my faith without persecution from others who do not have the same beliefs as I do. Respectfully, Catholics and Christians should allow atheists and agnostics their rights to do the same. However, the Catholic Church would be forced by the State of NY to marry same-sex couples, when clearly that is against our beliefs. In comparison, it is as if you would force someone who only eats kosher to eat a cheeseburger. Is that right? What I don’t understand is, why can’t the same-sex partnerships be civil unions, which would be a legal union according to city and state so that religion does not need to play a part? Why must same-sex partners insist on it being a religious union when it seems they really don’t want nor need it to be religious, just legal? If you want the right to be legally wed, then do what you believe is right in your heart. However, forcing your beliefs on me is just as wrong as having me force my beliefs on you.

10. Jaime Meggison Says:
    May 20th, 2011 at 4:53 am

Hey buddy,newly update goy movies,video,goy books special discount right now .please click the following link:http://bit.ly/it4mct

11. Kimberly Dandrea Says:
    June 16th, 2011 at 3:35 am

An fascinating dialogue is worth comment. I think that you should write extra on this topic, it won’t be a taboo subject but generally people are not sufficient to talk on such topics. To the next. Cheers

12. Shauna Saleh Says:
    July 13th, 2011 at 8:48 am

I love all things spiritual and would like to thank you for the amazing information.thanks

13. kelm Says:
    November 2nd, 2011 at 4:09 pm

Given the fact that this whole gay marriage issue is being driven by the powerful gay lobbies and we ordinary citizens don’t get our voices heard, lets make a move to let know all the politicians what most people want.
    one way is to petition the white house, i opened a petition which is not written in a professional way because i want it to represent the ordinary people not politicians, lets make a movement go on and sign the petition http://wh.gov/bgo

14. Dominic Argyle Says:
    February 20th, 2012 at 6:20 pm

Cool text dude, maintain up the great work, just shared this with the mates

15. Geraldine Vanaken Says:
    April 12th, 2013 at 11:27 am

Awesome website design you have. Topics are on target. I might hire you to do mine! Ha! Hey I am a DWI Lawyer in Texas if you guys need anything Check me out.