Recent Posts
NYC Blogs
Click here for a list of NYC blogs
Newsfeeds
Search This Blog

CPI Staffers Told to Report on Monday. Where/When is JCOPE?
December 9th, 2011

Sources tell me that the remaining staffers at the Commission on Public Integrity are no longer unsure about whether they should report to work on Monday. Their supervisors have told them to show up on Monday. Yes, up until today staffers were not sure whether they would be employed come Monday.

Perhaps the staffers will help start the new ethics watchdog–the Joint Commission on Public Ethics but I am told the more likely reason the CPI will exist on Monday is because JCOPE won’t

If CPI still exists on Monday where is the Joint Commisison on Public Ethics and when will it be revealed?

The bill says that JCOPE will come into existence 120 days after the bill was signed. The bill was signed on August 15 so JCOPE should technically start early next week.

However, I have been told that the Cuomo administration believes that legally CPI will continue to exist until until JCOPE is officially functional. Here is the relevant part of the law: The JCOPE shall be fully operational on or before the 120th day after this act shall have become a law and until such time as it becomes operational (a) the state CPI shall deposit all records in its possession with the inspector general and (b) the LEC shall continue to exercise such functions, powers, obligations and duties to be transferred to the JCOPE;

I suppose it can be read that CPI exists until JCOPE does. I have been trying to ask the Cuomo administration about when JCOPE will be unveiled and whether it is in fact their position that the CPI will continue to exist until they get JCOPE together but my many calls and emails have been ignored. Good government groups say they aren’t worried if JCOPE isn’t ready exactly on Monday or Tuesday.

Dick Dadey, executive director of Citizens Union (Gotham Gazette is published by Citizens Union Foundation the sister organization to the Citizens Union) Said that he is not concerned if there is a small gap between the 120 day deadline and the start of JCOPE. I expect the governor will apply the law and meet the required deadline, said Dadey adding. A couple days wont hurt.

What could the hold up be? Legislative sources tell me that all conferences have made their picks. Assembly Minority Leader Brian Kolb told me he had made his pick a month or so ago. Senate Majority Leader Dean Skelos told me on Wednesday,”We have our people and I think we will announce it in a timely fashion when governors office is ready.” Other sources have confirmed that the Senate Minority and Assembly Majority have also made their picks to serve on the commission so that leaves the governor’s office.

What is holding them up? Russ Haven of the New York Public Interest Group says that he has been told it has been a struggle to find people who want to serve on JCOPE.

It seems they (the Cuomo administration) are scrambling to lock people in,” said Haven. “With the spotlight that has been on the CPI for the last 4 years it might be less attractive to some folks. But we really hope they look outside of the usual suspectsconnected lawyers and the like.

*Update* Numerous sources tell me they have been tentatively told to expect an unveiling of JCOPE on Thursday of next week.

By on December 9, 2011, 11:13 am
In category: Albany,Eye on Albany | 8 Comments »

8 Responses to “CPI Staffers Told to Report on Monday. Where/When is JCOPE?”

1. Elsa Wurz Says:
    April 20th, 2012 at 1:16 am

Hello this is a superb post. I’m going to mail this to my pals. I stumbled on this while exploring on bing I’ll be sure to come back. thanks for sharing.

2. aer conditionat Says:
    April 23rd, 2012 at 5:29 am

Someone necessarily help to make severely articles I would state. This is the very first time I frequented your website page and so far? I surprised with the research you made to create this particular put up amazing. Fantastic process!

3. Izma Ioana Says:
    May 6th, 2012 at 7:30 am

FB comments generally annoy me and I think you’ve captured them all! Nice job.

4. read more Says:
    October 4th, 2012 at 12:05 pm

Walkers,Thank you for the post we value your input and use it to respond in kind , So you can REALIZE A NEW DAWN! You should look at the DEVICES infomercial and realize that the GEGS will impact your life because it does what no other system can do. You buy the machine; lay out $25,000 installed base price, Yes you can get finaceing from CHASE BANK , it is custom on larger homes so it is internal to the home. Tax rebates for this product are: State at $4000+. Fed at$5000==$9000. The next year your power company has to purchase your power at $1.75 a KWH; that is a measure of use for electricity. GEGS makes 5256 kwh a month based on a 20 hour run at 30 days a mounth for a monthly total of 5256kwh. Now in my case you subtract the usage of 1600kwhs a month from 5256kwh and arrive at excess of 3656KWH a month at $1.75 a KWH so you multiply the 3656KWH left over by $1.75 = $6,398 a month if they would pay you for your true output! They are obligated to only pay for $17,500 a year or 10,000 KWH; the rest is free to them !The true output is 76,776 KWH a year so multiply that number and you will understand why after 100 units are sold,the company is going to sue the power company for $1.00 a KWH of the true production , and that would yield a return of $76,776.00 a year check to you! So there’s the math. Thanks for posting and have a great week. JCHaywardCEO/ D.E.V.I.C.E.S\ eboats

5. Gaston Says:
    October 15th, 2012 at 2:34 pm

good post dude

6. dresses Says:
    November 27th, 2012 at 2:25 pm

I guess, it comes down to 99259 simple choice!

7. Alvis Slepac Says:
    March 27th, 2013 at 6:57 am

Remarkable things here. I am very satisfied to peer your article. Thank you a lot and I’m taking a look forward to touch you. Will you kindly drop me a e-mail?

8. migliori locali di roma Says:
    July 23rd, 2013 at 11:02 am

Very nice article and right to the point. I am not sure if this is truly the best place to ask but do you folks have any thoughts on where to get some professional writers? Thank you :)