Communications and Public Affairs Manager
|Location:||New York, New York|
|Description:||Organization: Citizens Union
Responsibilities: The Communications and Public Affairs Manager (CPAM) will be responsible for managing the organization’s external affairs, communications activities, social media efforts, and public programs targeted to the various audiences that Citizens Union seeks to reach. Reporting to the executive director, and working collaboratively with the development and public policy staffs, the CPAM will coordinate the organization’s media and public relations efforts, provide innovative leadership in pursuing and implementing effective social media strategies to increase visibility of and interest in the organization, organize events designed to educate the civic-minded public about important public policy issues, and market its various activities, like its renowned publication, GothamGazette.com. A newly created position, the CPAM will also propose, execute and manage efforts to promote and communicate the organization’s brand, message and work.
The core functions of the Communications and Public Affairs Manager will include:
• Using the recently adopted organization’s strategic plan, develop and execute in consultation with board, committee and staff members, an annual public relations strategy and communications plan that promotes and raises the profile of the organization and its publication GothamGazette.com.
• Manage press relations and communications to the media.
• Assist in managing communications to the organization’s members and donors.
• Organize and implement public events and issue forums.
• Serve as primary staff liaison to the organization’s program committee.
• Work with graphic design consultants and printers to produce materials.
• Market Gotham Gazette with the intent to drive traffic to the site and increase readership.
• Strengthen, deepen and coordinate the organization’s social media efforts.
• Sell advertising on the site for Gotham Gazette.
• Improve and manage the organizations’ institutional website.
• Handle all activity related to public relations, marketing and communications.
Compensation: Salary is competitive for a nonprofit organization whose budget is $1.5 million. Benefits include fully paid health insurance including flexible spending plan, two weeks paid vacation to start, retirement savings program, and life and long-term disability insurance.
The Organization: Citizens Union is a nonpartisan good government group dedicated to making democracy work for all New Yorkers. A civic watchdog that combats corruption and fights for political reform, Citizens Union works to ensure fair and open elections, honest and efficient government, and a civically-engaged public. Believing an informed citizenry is the cornerstone of good government, its affiliated organization Citizens Union Foundation publishes www.GothamGazette.com, an award-winning news and policy website, as one major component of its research and public education efforts.
|Qualifications:||Candidates should possess the following qualifications and skills:
• Bachelor’s degree with an interest in public policy, advocacy and the civic life of New York.
• Two or more years of professional experience in communication, public relations, media, advertising, and marketing.
• Excellent oral and written communication.
• Knowledgeable and proficient in developing effective design, branding, imaging.
• Familiarity with print production and website management.
• Strong personal presence with solid interpersonal skills.
• Innovative and critical thinker, diligent, detail-oriented, and exceptional ability to work with others.
• Demonstrated ability to sell advertising that generates income.
• Proficiency with Microsoft office and knowledge of design, photo, and web software.
• Comfortable handling multiple tasks at once.
|How to Apply:||Interested candidates should send a cover letter, résumé and salary requirements to either email@example.com, or Attn. Communications and Public Affairs Manager, Citizens Union, 299 Broadway, Ste. 700, New York, NY 10007
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
|Deadline:||No deadline specified.|