This concept plan creates a memorial site within a 6-acre park that is partially situated on a deck over West Street. Two buildings for museum or cultural uses complete the park's enclosure. A new public square is created on a block west of St Paul's chapel. Fulton, Cortlandt, and Liberty Streets are oriented perpendicular to West Street. Fulton Street becomes a major east-west corridor with a pedestrian arcade that flows from Greenwich Street to the World Financial Center. North-south regional traffic uses a West Street bypass that runs under the deck. The plan requires the acquisition of part of the plaza of the Deutsche Bank building and the parking lot at Cedar and West Streets.
Principal Features of this Concept Plan:
- 6-acre park partially situated on a deck over West Street
- 14.4 acres of new public space, including new streets, public square, arcades and an enclosed galleria
- Fulton and Cortlandt streets extend to the World Financial Center, perpendicular to West Street
- Greenwich Street extends through the site with active building frontages on both sides
- West Street bypass tunnel from Albany Street to Vesey Street (local traffic at surface)
- 5 towers (2 at 72 stories, 3 at 45 stories)
- Potential residential development south of Liberty Street
- 6 acres of property created on a deck over West Street
The comments section is provided as a free service to our readers. Gotham Gazette's editors reserve the right to delete any comments. Some reasons why comments might get deleted: inappropriate or offensive content, off-topic remarks or spam.
Recent Articles by Gotham Gazette Staff :