Gotham Gazette, an online publication about New York policy and politics, is seeking a web development intern to work at least one full day a week helping to maintain and update the website and databases. Published since 1999 by Citizens Union Foundation of the City of New York, the Gotham Gazette is a pioneering online-only news website. The publication was a winner of the Knight Foundation News Challenge in 2009 and has won awards for excellence from the Online News Association.
* Interest and enthusiasm for web publishing
* Knowledge of HTML and CSS
* Comfortable with content management systems (Joomla is a plus)
* Experience with databases
* Ability to effectively communicate ideas in written and verbal format
* Strong teamwork and interpersonal skills
* Ability to work on either a Mac or PC
* Ability to multi-task
* Proficiency in Microsoft Word
* Interest in good government and politics a plus
* Interest in journalism, current affairs and news a plus
* Assist in researching ways to improve our databases, calendar, classifieds
* Update the calendar
* Assist in updating and maintaining the Joomla content management system
* Assist in researching Google Currents
* Assist in researching a new tagging system
* Verifying the accuracy of our elections database
* Assist in researching alternative ways to promote archived articles
* General online maintenance when needed
Please submit your application with a cover letter (in the text of your email) as well as your resume. Let us know about what you would be interested in doing with us, when you hope to start and how much time you can spend with us.
We can work with your academic institution regarding receiving credit. We do not offer paid internships.
To apply: Send resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org or Internship Coordinator, Citizens Union, 299 Broadway Suite 700, New York, NY 10007; or Fax: (212)-227-0345. Beginning and end dates flexible. We accept applications throughout the year. No phone calls, please.
About Citizens Union & Citizens Union Foundation
For more than a century, Citizens Union has worked to ensure local and state government values its citizens, addresses critical issues and operates in a fair, open and fiscally sound manner. Citizens Union Foundation monitors the deliberations and actions of government, conducts research and analyzes the impact of proposed public policy. Believing an informed and engaged citizenry is the cornerstone of good government, Citizens Union Foundation publishes Gotham Gazette, an award-winning web site covering the issues facing New York.