This plan has been proposed by City Councilmember David Weprin.
Equipping Auxiliary Officers With:
1. Bulletproof Vests
3. Expandable nightsticks
4. Protective masks
5. Automatic External Defibrillators for all APSU (Rescue) Units who are already authorized by the NYPD for its use.
Legislation Calling For:
6. Increased penalties for attacking and/or injuring Auxiliary Police Officers.
By granting Auxiliary Officers the status of PEACE OFFICER WHILE ON DUTY, Auxiliary
Members will be re-qualified as "NYC SPECIAL PATROLMEN." a status that exists
in the NYC Administrative Code and the NYS Criminal Procedure Law. The change
in status will automatically bring with it an increased range of penalties
for injury to an Auxiliary Officer.
7. Appropriate benefits for disabled Auxiliary
Officers and their families.
8. Mandated regular reporting by NYPD to City Council
on Auxiliary Program statistics such as equipment, vehicles, training, hours,
and number of
9. Improved and increased training and self defense classes
for Auxiliary Officers to be administered by Police Academy Instructors.
Full Restoration of Auxiliary Emergency Service Unit (AESU) name and function
in order to allow Auxiliary Officers to properly serve as the
of the NYPD Emergencies Services Unit as was originally mandated upon
its creation in 1950.
The comments section is provided as a free service to our readers. Gotham Gazette's editors reserve the right to delete any comments. Some reasons why comments might get deleted: inappropriate or offensive content, off-topic remarks or spam.