Photo: Greenwich Village Society for Historic Preservation

St. Ann’s Shrine Armenian Catholic Cathedral, East 12th Street

St. Ann’s church, located on East 12th Street between Third and Fourth Avenues, has served as a home for Protestant, Catholic, and Jewish congregations. The original section of the church was built in 1847 as the 12th Street Baptist Church. Between 1856 and 1868, the building served as the Temple Emanu-El synagogue. In 1870, it became St. Ann’s Roman Catholic Church and eventually the home of the Cathedral of the Armenian Catholic Church in North America.

In 2004, the Archdiocese of New York closed the church and sold it to a private developer. Concerned about the possible demise of the historic building and the adjacent rectory, which also dates back to the 1840s, the Greenwich Village Society for Historic Preservation urged the Landmarks Preservation Commission to protect it, but it did not win landmark designation.

The rectory is currently being demolished. The new owner is reportedly interested in preserving at least the façade and tower of the church, but the ultimate fate of the building is unclear.

123456 • 7 • 891011